Denise Tollyfield is a cookery presenter and food stylist. She was finalist on Gordon Ramsay’s F Word for Channel 4 and has worked alongside James Martin, Simon Rimmer and Brian Turner.
CHICKEN WITH RED WINE & WILD MUSHROOMS
Preheat oven to gas 4/ 180c/ 160 fan
4 x chicken joints (bone in breasts are good for this dish), skinned
2 tblsp rapeseed oil
1 x large onion, peeled & chopped
2 x cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 tsp paprika
1 tblsp plain flour
200ml robust red wine
200ml hot chicken stock
1 tblsp tomato puree
2 x bay leaves
1 tsp herbes de provence
150g mixed wild mushrooms, wiped clean
Parsley to garnish
You will need a Denby cast iron casserole dish
1. Heat the oil in a large cast iron casserole.
2.Coat the chicken pieces in the paprika and 1 tblsp of the flour then fry in the hot oil for a couple of minutes to brown.
3. Add the onion and garlic and continue to saute for a few minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and saute lightly then add the remaining flour.
5. Stir well in the pan then add the wine. Let it bubble up for a minute then add the stock, bay leaves, tomato puree seasoning & herbes de provence.
6. Cover with a lid and place in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until the chicken is tender.
7. Garnish with parsley and serve straight away with saute potatoes.